Tesco Walkden – Any Questions?

One thing I notice every month is that a large number of local residents get to this site by doing a web search for Tesco in Walkden. Some of those people will simply have been searching for store information (opening times) but I know many people in the local community are concerned about the future of the Tesco store and indeed the (poor) state of the centre of Walkden as a whole.

I’ve decided that I will write a detailed post sometime in the next few days with as much information about the future development plans for Tesco as I understand them to be, and my views about the current state of Walkden town centre, but before I do that I thought I’d just open the debate out to the floor to hear what readers think. If you have any comments about Walkden town centre, please leave a comment, and more importantly if there is something you’d like me to address in my more detailed post please let me know!

Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Tesco Walkden – Any Questions?

1. Richard Carvath says:

Iain, I’d be interested to know your views on Walkden in the context of the current [21 June 06] Unitary Development Plan for Salford. Do you consider that the UDP is being adhered to (and how well)? Are you happy with how Walkden fits into the current UDP? Would you change anything about the current UDP if you could… and, if so, what would you change? What would you like to see in the next UDP re Walkden?

To what extent [if at all] do you think Walkden is a victim of the Labour ruling group’s concern for its own party political interests over the needs and best interests of Walkden’s people? Or putting it slightly differently… what could/would a Conservative ruling group [if such were to happen] do differently to the extant council administration in its attitudes and actions towards Walkden?

And not a question, but I reckon your “detailed post” should give a good breakdown and analysis of property/land-use types and ownership/interests – without which we’ve next to no chance of either grasping problems or envisaging good and viable solutions [not that you need to be told this of course!].

I’ll look forward to your essay Iain because I’m sure it’ll be good.

2. Iain says:

I’m happy to do that Richard (and I will do) but I think that’s for a separate post. There is a real demand for information about the future of the Tesco store and the Ellesmere Centre and that is my focus for the upcoming post.

As far as the UDP generally goes, I’m in the middle of writing a draft Conservative response to the Core Strategy consultation. The Core Strategy will effectively replace the UDP so it’s a subject that is very much on my mind at the moment.

3. Dan Worthington says:

I was directed here after searching net for Walkden Tescos plans. Everything at the moment seems very hidden and secretive concerning the ever expanding building site of Tesco which is shop by shop destroying Walkden. At the start of the project bill boards displayed what the finished store would look like but it is obvious that the finished result will bear no resemblance whatsoever. It would be nice to have a little transparency about what is going on.

4. Aled says:

Dan

If you go onto Salford’s website and search Planning you will find the plans. I would be very surprised if the building varies from the approved version.

Iain will be able to give you a link to it if you ask nicely.

5. Dan Worthington says:

Thanks Aled.
    Finally found what I was looking for although the plan does seem very out of date in regards to occupied units in the Ellesmere Centre as my particular interest is in what the link/relationship of the centre to the finished Tesco store will be. Anyway, at least I know where to look for any amendments -thanks.

6. Peter says:

Hi Dan, I agree with Aled, I’ve followed this plan quite closely, I’d be suprised if they differ, in fact looking at the steel structure that is now in place, it looks like it will be as per the submitted plans as seen on the Salford Council website at least as far as I can tell at this stage, as only size and location are apparent, If you’ve spotted something obviously wrong please share it, I’m sure the planning dept would like to hear! As for how the store is linked to the Ellesmere centre, there is going to be a 2 storey atrium connecting the centre (on the ground floor), the new carpark (on the ground floor where Tesco was) and the new Tesco store (on the 1st floor above the new carpark, accessed via travellators) meaning much better access to the centre from the car park and that Tesco’s enterance is now effectively inside the centre. Surely better than the previous arrangement? Tesco is in effect moving ‘up’ to the 1st floor level so the car park can be created under it, extended backwards towards Bolton Rd and turned 90 dgeress anti-clockwise, facing into the centre. The reason the units in the Ellesmere centre that have been knocked down (and they are being rebuilt in a different layout) is so the atrium can be built and better links to the centre can be created from Tesco/ the car park. Or thats my understanding from the plans etc.

7. Gordon says:

is the new tesco store in walkden opened yet, or when is it planned to be opened?